World's First Commercial 4K Player Delivers Ultra HD to Retail Stores, Stadiums, Museums and More
AMSTERDAM – IBC 2014 Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced that BrightSign LLC®, the global market leader in digital signage players, has chosen Broadcom's Ultra HD system-on-chip (SoC) technology for its new line of 4K media players. Leveraging Broadcom's BCM7444 and BCM7252 SoC devices for advanced compression and decoding, BrightSign's line of digital signage media players delivers native 4K, 60 frame-per-second (fps) video and 10-bit color, optimized for use in a variety of commercial applications including advertising, retail stores, stadiums, museums and other public displays. Broadcom will demonstrate the BCM7445, BCM7252 and its full portfolio of HEVC-enabled SoCs at IBC, September 12-16, RAI Amsterdam, Booth 2.C25. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
Ultra HD delivers a greater array of colors and sharper contrast, especially in large-screen formats, providing viewers with a feeling of being completely immersed in the action on the screen. Increasing use of Ultra HD displays in the commercial sector and proliferating use of Ultra HD TVs are contributing to the rapid adoption of 4K(1).
At 4x the image definition currently available, Ultra HD content requires more efficient bandwidth to deliver uninterrupted 4K, 60 frame-per-second transmissions. Broadcom's full line of Ultra HD video decoder solutions, with integrated high-efficiency video codec (HEVC) technology, reduce bandwidth usage by 50 percent, allowing Ultra HD content to be delivered in half the time. The integrated 10-bit Rec 2020 color standard delivers deeper, richer color gradation.
"BrightSign's new line of commercial media players are the first to deliver an end-to-end 4K solution that accepts H.265-encoded content and delivers 60 fps output via HDMI 2.0," said Jeff Hastings, BrightSign CEO. "Efficiencies are maximized via the highest possible bit rate, thanks to Broadcom's HEVC decoding capabilities."
"Our HEVC- chipsets are enabling the deployment of a broad spectrum of Ultra HD capable products, proliferating the adoption of Ultra HD in the marketplace in 2014 and beyond," said Dan Marotta, Broadcom Executive Vice President and General Manager, Broadband Connectivity Group. "Leading innovators such as BrightSign are moving the industry forward in the delivery of a vastly improved entertainment experience."
Named by IHS as the global leader in digital signage players(2), BrightSign solid-state digital sign controllers set new standards for both stand-alone and networked digital signage applications with their superior video quality, reliability, affordability, ease of use and interactivity. Visit www.brightsign.biz to learn more.
Key Features of the Broadcom® BCM7444 Ultra HD SoC
• Brahma15 21,000 DMIP CPU, four 1080p30 real-time transcoders and HEVC compression
• Delivers resolution up to 4096 x 2160p60
• Simultaneously delivers four transcoded HD video streams over IP for content on any screen
• Web domain security, an industry leading hardware security oversight to separate Internet services from premium broadcast content
Key Features of the Broadcom BCM7252 Ultra HD SoC
• High-performance dual-core Brahma15 10000 DMIP CPU
• 2180p60 or dual 1080p60 decode and transcode capabilities
• Integrated high-performance connectivity peripherals, including USB 3.0, PCIe, Gigabit Ethernet
• Enables more efficient operator content delivery for increased footprint, higher resolution or additional channels
• Enhances quality and quantity of over-the-top services deliverable through existing high-speed data pipes
Key Features of the BrightSign 4K Media Players
• Plays native 4K H.265 encoded video files at 60 fps via HDMI 2.0
• Solid-state, ultra-reliable, fan-less, commercial grade devices
• Advanced video engine capable of decoding one 4Kp60 video and one 1920x1080p60 video simultaneously
• Complete solution including free BrightAuthor software, networking options and leading-edge signage features
Broadcom's full line of Ultra HD SoCs is now available. BrightSign's commercial 4K media players will be available late September, 2014.
1 Researchmoz 2014
2 IHS 2013 Global Market for Digital Signage Study
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Sr. Manager, Communications
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband Cable
Web Site: http://www.broadcom.com