Management Software helps protect wireless devices.
November 21, 2006 -
Frontline management and security solution, AfariaŽ v5.5, provides capabilities for initially provisioning devices over wireless networks and expanding device security functionality. It also offers remote control for Windows Mobile devices and Patch Manager capabilities. Interoperable with OneBridge, software features FIPS 140-2 compliant encryption modules that ensure safe extension of sensitive data to mobile professionals.
Original Press release
6475 Christie Ave.
Emeryville, CA, 94608
Sybase iAnywhere Unveils Afaria 5.5 Management and Security Solution With Major Enhancements to Protect Wireless Devices
Afaria 5.5 Expands Management and Security Capabilities for Wireless Devices; Meets FIPS 140-2 Security Standards; Provides New Wireless Deployment Capabilities
CHICAGO, Mobile Business Expo, Oct. 31 -- Sybase iAnywhere today announced Afaria 5.5, the next generation of the company's award-winning frontline management and security solution. Afaria 5.5 includes new capabilities to initially provision devices over wireless networks, expanded device security functionality, remote control for Windows Mobile devices, and expanded Patch Manager capabilities. Afaria Security Manager has also been updated to include FIPS 140-2 compliant encryption modules, which ensures corporations can safely extend sensitive data to mobile professionals and meet security directives and compliance requirements.
Afaria 5.5 is a core component of the recently announced Information Anywhere(R) Suite, a portfolio of products which addresses converging enterprise requirements for mobile email, security, device management and application enablement. Afaria 5.5 delivers full interoperability with the company's OneBridge (announced in a separate release today), providing users with an end-to-end secure email and messaging solution.
"What we have done here is significantly raise the bar on how IT can manage and secure wireless devices in the enterprise," said Joe Owen, vice president, engineering, iAnywhere. "Mobile devices are evolving at a very fast pace and are becoming more and more prevalent in the enterprise. Afaria 5.5 helps companies take advantage of the latest device technology while insuring that these new devices are well-managed and that the data is always secure."
Significant new features in Afaria 5.5 include:
-- FIPS 140-2 encryption
- The Afaria 5.5 Security Manager component has been updated to use FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic modules in its Windows Mobile and Palm platforms. With Security Manager 5.5, organizations and U.S. federal agencies governed by FIPS 140-2 security directives can safely extend sensitive data to mobile professionals -- gaining the benefits of mobility while meeting strict compliance demands.
-- Security Manager usability improvements
- Significant enhancements to provide a better experience for end-users including customized password entry screens, improved graphics and navigation, and updates to provide greater ease-of-use while still keeping the device secure (for example, the ability to make phone calls while the mobile device is locked).
-- Security Manager for Windows Update
- Full management of Security Manager for Window's full-disk encryption technology from the Afaria administrative console, ensuring that all data on the computer is secured and protected from attacks. Reports accessible from the Afaria administrative console provide at-a-glance information on the security status of end-user PCs.
-- Wireless device provisioning
- Ability for administrators to leverage wireless technology to easily provision new devices in the field with Afaria's management and security technology, lowering support costs. This minimizes end-user involvement in the installation of the Afaria client.
-- Remote Control for Windows Mobile devices
- Provides ability for administrators to manage individual frontline devices via real-time remote control capability for problem resolution and/or application training. This reduces time and cost involved in resolving technical issues with individual devices-no need to send them back to IT Administrators can rely on one comprehensive solution for the management of PCs and mobile devices.
-- Patch Manager update
- Expanded patch detection beyond operating system patches to include patch support for additional Microsoft products such as the latest versions of Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Office. This update also includes availability of additional patch detail information including severity levers; and the ability to automatically process end user license agreements.
-- Interoperability with push email solutions
- Full interoperability with OneBridge and Microsoft Exchange Server, ensuring that wireless technology can be used to continuously push email to mobile devices while maintaining security of email and other PIM data.
Afaria 5.5 will be available later in Q4. For a demonstration of the new version, please visit the Sybase iAnywhere booth #311. An online seminar will be offered on November 9, 2006 to describe the product in further detail. Interested parties may register for the seminar by accessing www.ianywhere.com/webcast_afaria55 . Additional information is available at http://www.ianywhere.com/products/afaria.html or by calling 1-800-801-2069.
About Information Anywhere Suite
The Information Anywhere Suite is a secure, scalable mobile software portfolio of products that address the converging IT requirements of enterprises today. By combining email/messaging, mobile device management, enterprise-to-edge security and back-office application extension capabilities, Information Anywhere enables organizations to empower employees to do the work they need to do anywhere, at anytime, on any device. Built from the inception to address the unique characteristics of frontline environments, Information Anywhere ensures that mobilized applications are as secure, reliable and available as those that run within the data center.
About Sybase iAnywhere
Sybase iAnywhere enables success at the front lines of business. The company holds worldwide market leadership positions in mobile and embedded databases, mobile management and security, mobile middleware and synchronization, and Bluetooth(R) and infrared protocol technologies. Tens of millions of mobile devices, millions of subscribers, and 20,000 customers and partners rely on the company's "Always Available" technologies, including SQL Anywhere, Afaria, OneBridge, and the AvantGo mobile Internet service. iAnywhere is a subsidiary of Sybase, Inc. (NYSE:SY).
NOTE: Sybase, iAnywhere, iAnywhere Solutions, SQL Anywhere, Afaria, OneBridge and AvantGo are trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of Sybase, Inc. or its subsidiaries. (R) indicates registration in the United States of America. The Bluetooth trademark and logos are owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by iAnywhere is under license. All other company and product names mentioned may be trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.