Industrial Electronic Chip Growth Turns Around in 2013 with Double-Digit Rise
March 27, 2014
Global industrial electronics chip revenue for 2013 amounted to $33.7 billion, a solid 11 percent rise from $30.4 billion in 2012. After final figures are confirmed for the fourth quarter, the double-digit increase expected in 2013 will show that the market recovered from the 5 percent loss of 2012. Growth will continue in the next few years, and industrial-related semiconductor revenue will reach some $45 billion by 2018.
"The market's persuasive bounce-back is due to a strengthening global economy, coupled with higher purchasing confidence across all geographical regions," said Robbie Galoso, principal analyst for industrial electronics at IHS. "While the field may not sound as sexy or attention-grabbing as some of the more popular markets around, like wireless or consumer, there is no underestimating the power or sheer breadth of its applications, ranging from home automation to the medical field, to energy, to aeronautics and military purposes, and much more."
In the Americas, led by the United States, an upturn in the housing market fueled the expansion of industrial electronics usage in the building and home control segment. China was another locus of growth, with broad-based revenue increases occurring in various segments, including medical electronics and factory automation.
Even a beleaguered Europe, still disentangling itself from the recent financial turmoil, was a contributor, with 13 of its countries figuring among the top 20 global industrial electronics markets. Those nations included the likes of Germany, France, Switzerland, Sweden, Italy, and Finland.
The industry on the whole continued to pick up steam during the third quarter after demand started improving in the second stanza. Overall, the turnaround for 2013 sets the stage for a robust 2014, Galoso said, with annual revenue forecast to grow 9 percent to $36.8 billion.
These findings are contained in the report, "Solid Q3 Industrial Growth Improves 2013 Forecast
Powerhouse Segments Pull Up Weaker Performers
The largest segment in all of industrial electronics during 2013 was building and home control, spurred by a newly resurgent U.S. residential market. Revenue in 2013 is estimated at $10.1 billion, or nearly a third of the industry's entire takings. Lighting was a prominent performer, especially in the light-emitting diode (LED) sector, as were security systems used in applications like video surveillance and fire alarms.
Also obtaining high marks last year were the military and civil aerospace segment, as well as medical electronics. In the former, a robust commercial avionics sector drove expansion that compensated for headwinds encountered in the military sphere because of the U.S. federal budget sequestration. In the latter, the diagnostic-therapy-patient monitor market continued to perform well.
One other important segment last year was energy generation and distribution, even though third-quarter results were mixed. Here, weakness in wind turbines dragged down the stable growth seen in other renewable-energy sectors such as nuclear, thermal, and hydro.
Other segments contributing to industrial electronics included test and measurement and manufacturing-process automation, which enjoyed enhanced results due to a significant increase in demand from China and the United States.
The top five countries last year in terms of semiconductor design and influence for industrial electronics were the United States, China, Japan, Germany, and France. Together, the five nations controlled more than 70 percent of the industrial electronics sphere in 2013.
Photo credit: renjith krishnan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
- Industry Market Trends
- Fluid & Gas Flow
- Tech Trends
- The Light Side
- Industry Crib Sheet
- Product News
- Associations News
- Products in the News
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Company News
- People in the News
- Literature and Websites
- Submit Press Release
- How to Write an Effective News Release
- About Us
- PR Resources
- Newsletter Archive
- Product News Network
Product News Categories
- Adhesives & Sealants
- Agricultural and Farming Products
- Architectural and Civil Engineering Products
- Automatic ID
- Chemicals & Chemical Processing
- Cleaning Products & Equipment
- Communication Systems & Equipment
- Computer Hardware & Peripherals
- Construction Equipment and Supplies
- Controls & Controllers
- Display & Presentation Equipment
- Electrical Equipment & Systems
- Electronic Components & Devices
- Explosives, Armaments, and Weaponry
- Fasteners & Hardware
- Fluid & Gas Flow Equipment
- Food Processing & Preparation
- Green & Clean
- Health, Medical, & Dental Supplies and Equipment
- Labels Tags Signage & Equipment
- Laboratory and Research Supplies and Equipment
- Machinery & Machining Tools
- Material Handling & Storage
- Materials & Material Processing
- Mechanical Components and Assemblies
- Mechanical Power Transmission
- Mining, Oil Drilling, Refining Products & Equipment
- Mounting & Attaching Products
- Non-Industrial Products
- Optics & Photonics
- Packaging Products & Equipment
- Paints & Coatings
- Plant Furnishings & Accessories
- Portable Tools
- Printing & Duplicating Equipment
- Retail and Sales Equipment
- Safety & Security Equipment
- Sensors Monitors & Transducers
- Test & Measuring Instruments
- Textile Industry Products
- Thermal & Heating Equipment
- Timers & Clocks
- Transportation Industry Products
- Vision Systems
- Waste Management & tWaste Handling Equipment
- Welding Equipment & Supplies