Expert's Corner: How Manufacturers Are Harnessing Social Media
May 14, 2013
In the latest Expert's Corner, Michael Keating sheds light on how manufacturers can deliver their marketing message via social media, and the specific digital tools and strategies manufacturers are employing to boost their business. Twitter, LinkedIn, SlideShare - there's no shortage of social media tools that manufacturers can use to get their market message across. And manufacturers are using social media at a rapidly accelerating pace. Nearly seven out of 10 (68 percent) small and mid-size industrial suppliers are engaging with prospects through social media, according to research from ThomasNet "Manufacturers will miss a significant opportunity if they don't jump on the social media bandwagon," said Lisa Anderson, founder of Claremont, Calif.-based LMA Consulting Group Anderson cites five ways that manufacturing executives can harness social media to improve operations:
- Leverage LinkedIn and Facebook for research and development;
- Use YouTube for product training and to create product excitement;
- Rely on Facebook and Twitter to gain customer feedback and input into product development;
- Use LinkedIn to research, source, and collaborate with suppliers; and
- Leverage LinkedIn groups to collaborate with customers and suppliers and to research technical and systems issues.