Supermarket Chain Receives Waste Reduction Award
The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery Waste Reduction Awards Program (WRAP) has awarded the 2011 Waste Reduction Award to Stater Bros. for “green business practices.”
The company eliminated 125,780,911 lbs of waste from landfills in 2011 by:
• Recycling cardboard (eliminated over 70 million pounds from landfills in 2011)
• Green Waste Composting Program (eliminated nearly 40 million pounds from landfills in 2011)
• Recycling sustainable rendering products (eliminated over 8 million pounds from landfills in 2011)
• Donating food to local food banks (eliminated over 3 million pounds from landfills in 2011)
• Recycling plastic bags (over 2.7 million pounds from landfills in 2011).
The company received the award last year and continues to look for ways to improve. Currently, the weekly ad is printed on recycled paper and they participate in California’s Voluntary Demand Response Program to reduce energy consumption at store level when demand is high.
“Stater Bros. believes in doing the right thing for the right reason”, stated Jack H. Brown, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Stater Bros. Supermarkets. “Protecting our environment is the ‘right thing’ and the ‘right reason’ is so future generations can live in a better world.”