Recycling E-Waste with Ease–And for Money! Innovative Kiosk will be on Display at CES
How many of us have old cell phones, ipods, or MP3 players sitting in a drawer because we have upgraded, tired of, or outgrown? How many of us bring them to a recycling center for disposal? Do you sell them privately or is it just easier to leave them hidden away? For most of us, that’s the way it is—out of sight out of mind. But, there is another alternative on the horizon.
The ecoATM is an automated eCycling Station for pricing and buy-back of used consumer electronics and mobile phones for trade-in/trade-up and recycling. ecoATM uses patented machine vision, electronic diagnostics, and artificial intelligence to evaluate and buy back used cell phones and MP3 players directly from consumers for cash or store credit. Recycling of tablets will begin later in January.
“At CES, we’ll be demonstrating the capabilities of our latest generation of recycling kiosks to retailers, consumers, device manufacturers, and government officials who are interested in seeing how innovations in technology are being harnessed to solve a serious environmental problem,” said Tom Tullie, Chairman and CEO, ecoATM. “Almost everyone has a collection of used portable electronics stored somewhere. At ecoATM, we believe strongly in repurposing good electronics that can be refurbished and used by consumers in other markets. We find a second life for about 75 percent of the used devices we collect at the kiosks. For the other 25 percent of devices that are truly at their end of life, we work with either R2-certified or BAN-certified recyclers who reclaim the raw materials and precious metals in an environmentally responsible way.”
The majority of ecoATM locations are currently in California but they are expanding to Washington state, which has one kiosk, and Nebraska, which has two. The company also offers a corporate phone recycling program that includes all shipping material. All phones have the data removed and the host company can audit the data wipe when completed. Phones are then recycled to keep the toxic waste out of landfills.
Here’s how the ecoATM kiosk works: