Product News: Electrical Equipment & Systems
DC/DC Buck Regulators deliver tight reference accuracy.
Press Release Summary:
December 20, 2012 - Supplied in 8-pin SOIC PowerPAD™ package, SWIFT™ TPS54360 (60 V) and TPS54340 (42 V) buck regulators have respective input ranges of 4.5–60 V and 4.5–42 V. These 3.5 A step-down DC/DC converters, which integrate 92 mΩ high-side MOSFET, offer 1% reference accuracy from -40 to +150°C for optimal output voltage regulation over all operating conditions. Current mode control allows external compensation and flexible component selection, and low dropout operating mode approaches 100% duty cycle.
Original Press Release
TI Introduces 3.5-A SWIFT(TM) Buck Regulators with Tightest Reference Accuracy
Press release date: November 27, 2012
DALLAS – Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced two 3.5-A step-down DC/DC converters with an integrated MOSFET and industry-leading reference accuracy of one percent. The SWIFT™ 60-V TPS54360 and 42-V TPS54340 buck regulators operate over a wide input voltage range and the industry’s widest temperature range for high-performance industrial, consumer, computing, communication and automotive applications. Using these new products together with TI's WEBENCH® online design tool can simplify and speed the design process. For more information and samples, visit www.ti.com/pmp-tps54360-pr-en. Watch a video demonstration at www.ti.com/pmp-tps54360-prv-en.
The TPS54360 and TPS54340 join TI’s family of Eco-Mode™ SWIFT DC/DC converters that operate over a wide input range with low operating and shutdown quiescent current. The family also includes the 0.5-A, 42-V TPS54040A and 1.5A, 60-V TPS54160A that feature precision enable threshold for adjustable under voltage lockout. For more information on all of TI’s SWIFT converters, visit www.ti.com/swift-pr.
Key features and benefits of the TPS54360 and TPS54340 DC/DC converters
• Wide input range from 4.5 V to 60 V (TPS54360) or 42 V (TPS54340) offers robust input voltage protection.
• Current mode control allows simple external compensation and flexible component selection.
• Integrated 92-mOhm high-side MOSFET provides high efficiency at high currents.
• Industry-leading one-percent reference accuracy from -40°C to 150°C better regulates output voltages over all operating conditions.
• Low dropout operating mode approaching 100 percent duty cycle minimizes input to output voltage drop.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The TPS54360 and TPS54340 DC/DC converters are available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors. Offered in an 8-pin SOIC PowerPAD™ package, the TPS54360 is priced at US$2.10 and the TPS54340 is US$1.75 in 1,000-unit quantities. The PowerPAD package lowers the thermal resistance to extend the temperature operation range and improve long-term reliability.
Find out more about TI’s DC/DC converters:
• Order samples and an evaluation module of the new DC/DC converters: www.ti.com/pmp-tps54360-pr-en and www.ti.com/pmp-tps54340-pr-en.
• Design a complete power management system online with TI’s WEBENCH Power Designer: www.ti.com/webenchpwr-pr.
• Download a power supply design spreadsheet tool to analyze the control loop response, thermal performance, bill of materials (BOM) and efficiency of the design: www.ti.com/pmp-tps543x0calc-pr-en.
• Get more information on all of TI’s SWIFT™ DC/DC converters: www.ti.com/swift-pr.
• Ask questions and share knowledge in the power forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/powerforum-pr.
• Download power reference designs from TI’s PowerLab™ Reference Design Library: www.ti.com/powerlab-pr.
About WEBENCH tools from Texas Instruments
The WEBENCH Designer and Architect component libraries include more than 30,000 components from 120 manufacturers. Price and availability is updated hourly by TI's distribution partners for design optimization and production planning. Offered in eight languages, the user can compare complete system designs and make supply chain decisions in minutes. To start a cost-free design, visit TI's WEBENCH design environment at www.ti.com/webench-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
WEBENCH is a registered trademark and SWIFT, Eco-Mode, PowerPAD, TI E2E and PowerLab are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.