Desktop 3D Printer features 100 micron layer resolution.October 22, 2012 -
Designed for desktop use by engineers, researchers, and creative professionals, MakerBot® Replicator™ 2 is capable of producing professional-quality models up to 11.2 x 6.0 x 6.1 in. Printer is optimized for use of renewable bioplastic PLA build material, while included software fosters accelerated and consistent printing via integrated intelligence. For experienced users, MakerBot® Replicator 2X Experimental Desktop 3D Printer is also available.
MakerBot® ReplicatorTM 2 Desktop 3D Printer Sets New Standard in Desktop 3D Printing
(Archive News Story - Products mentioned in this Archive News Story may or may not be available from the manufacturer.)
87 3rd Ave
Brooklyn, NY, 11217
Press release date: September 19, 2012
Brooklyn, NY – MakerBot® Industries introduces the MakerBot® Replicator™ 2 Desktop 3D Printer, the company’s easiest, fastest, and most affordable tool yet for making professional-quality models. Designed for the desktop of an engineer, researcher, creative professional, or anyone who loves to make things, the MakerBot Replicator 2 features 100-micron layer resolution, setting a new standard in professional looking models and true-to-life replicas. In addition, the MakerBot Replicator 2 enables users to make big objects, up to 410 cubic inches in volume (11.2” L x 6.0” W x 6.1” H).
“The new MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer, which is featured on the cover of the October 2012 issue of Wired, sets a new standard in resolution, build volume, and professional quality in the desktop 3D printer market,” said Bre Pettis, CEO of MakerBot. “With our fourth generation product, we have made the best desktop 3D printer on the market, made it affordable to both professionals and hobbyists, and made it cool looking.”
Pettis also announced other exciting breakthrough developments for MakerBot, including a total software update that enables faster and more consistent printing; an additional new product launch of the MakerBot® Replicator™ 2X Experimental Desktop 3D Printer for experienced users; and the company’s first retail location, which opened simultaneously with the launch of the new products in the NoHo neighborhood of Manhattan.
WHAT’S NEW WITH REPLICATOR 2 DESKTOP 3D PRINTER
• 100 Micron Layer Resolution -- The 100-micron layer resolution setting on the MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer means professional-looking prototypes and objects with less effort.
• More Build Volume -- A build volume of 410 cubic inches (11.2” L x 6.0” W x 6.1” H) gives the MakerBot Operator much more space than before to make multi-part projects and big models.
• Optimized for MakerBot PLA Filament -- The MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer is designed with the renewable bioplastic PLA in mind. PLA is the most popular build material in 3D printing because of its strength and ability to make very large prints without cracking or warping.
MAKERWARE: THE ALL NEW WAY TO DRIVE THE REPLICATOR 2
• Lightning fast preparation – MakerBot’s new slicing engine is up to 20 times faster than the previous technology. What’s more, the software is smarter and more efficient, which results in faster and more consistent models.
• Make more things at once – MakerBot MakerWare lets the MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer make multiple models at one time. Combined with the huge 410 cubic inch build volume, it’s easier than ever to get more done, faster.
• Simple but powerful – MakerBot MakerWare makes it intuitive to move, rotate, and scale models. When it comes time to choose print settings, MakerBot MakerWare simplifies the process while still leaving the control in the user’s hands.
The MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop Printer also has a new sleek and streamlined look, and according to Pettis, “is available in any color, as long as it is black.”
The MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop Printer will be priced at $2,199.
MakerBot’s second announcement of the “experimental” version of the MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental 3D Printer, is an exciting step forward and is designed specifically for 3D printing experts that want to blaze a trail into the future of 3D printing. The MakerBot Replicator 2X features experimental dual extrusion and uses the familiar petroleum-based thermoplastic, MakerBot ABS filament. The MakerBot Replicator 2X Desktop 3D Printer comes equipped with an updated dual-extruder tool and an updated heated build platform.
Both machines will be on sale through www.makerbot.com/store, the company’s worldwide network of distributors, as well as through the company’s brand new flagship retail location, the MakerBot Store at 298 Mulberry Street in Manhattan. The MakerBot Store will offer customers a full MakerBot experience, including demonstrations and the opportunity to buy cool MakerBotted gifts and accessories of all kinds. The store is designed to become a destination for MakerBot fans when they visit New York City and a place to find unique MakerBot-made gifts.
MakerBot: The New Standard In Desktop 3D Printing
Founded in 2009, Brooklyn-based MakerBot® (www.makerbot.com) has grown to be a global leader in desktop 3D printing. MakerBot had 16% market share of all 3D printers (industrial and personal) made from 2009 to the end of 2011. In 2011, MakerBot had 21.6% market share. There are over 13,000 MakerBot Desktop 3D Printers in use by engineers, designers, researchers, and people who just like to make things.
At MakerBot’s website Thingiverse (www.thingiverse.com), MakerBot owners can access and contribute to a “universe of things.” More than 28,000 projects, models, and things are available that can be downloaded and printed on a MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer!
The first generation MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D Printer was named “Best Emerging Tech” at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The company has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, the Economist, Wired, The Colbert Report, Fast Company, Engadget, Make: Magazine, Rolling Stone, Time.com, IEEE Spectrum, CNN, Financial Times, NPR, Vogue Italia and many others.