Session 6 Agenda Finalized for cleaning, coating conference.
Press Release Summary:
November 19, 2012 - IPC and SMTA announced agenda for Session 6 of High-Reliability Cleaning and Coating Conference (November 13–15, 2012 in Chicago, IL). To be chaired by Dale Lee of Plexus Corp, session will teach process optimization, what it takes to clean no-clean flux residues, material compatibility effects of cleaning agents on adhesives and conformal coatings, improvement in cleaning when reducing oxygen levels during reflow, and process conditions needed to clean bottom-termination components.
IPC-Association Connecting Electronics Industries
3000 Lakeside Drive, Bannockburn, IL, 60015, USA
Original Press Release
Session 6 Agenda is Finalized for the High-Rel Cleaning and Coating Conference Hosted by IPC and SMTA
Press release date: November 7, 2012
ROSEMONT, IL – Industry-leading associations IPC and SMTA jointly announce the agenda for Session 6 of the High-Reliability Cleaning and Coating Conference, scheduled to take place November 13-15, 2012 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel – O’Hare in Chicago, IL. The conference is intensely focused on electronic assembly reliability, and the influence of cleaning and coating upon producing reliable hardware.
Numerous factors must be considered when developing a cleaning process. Design of the PCB board, component selection, placement, solder mask definition, Z-Axis gap height, bottom termination component selection and layout, and material compatibility all have an impact on cleaning. Solder paste/flux selection solubility are impacted by the solder composition and reflow conditions. The complexity of these factors makes the job of selecting the right cleaning agent and cleaning equipment more difficult for the end user.
This session will teach process optimization, what it takes to clean no-clean flux residues, the material compatibility effects of cleaning agents on adhesives and conformal coatings, the improvement of cleaning when reducing the oxygen levels during reflow, and process conditions needed to clean bottom-termination components.
Dale Lee of Plexus Corporation will chair this session. The speakers and topics are as follows:
1. Process Optimization and Customer Requirements – Ken Van Zill, Ducommun LaBarge Technologies
2. Cleaning No-Clean Flux Residues – Michael Havener, Benchmark Electronics
3. Effects of Cleaning Agents on Adhesives and Conformal Coating – Tana Soffa, L.W. Nusbaum, P.A. Panackal, K.F. Schoch, Jr., Northrop Grumman Corporation
4. Improvement of Cleaning Lead-Free Flux Residues for HDI Assemblies by Reduction of Oxygen Levels during Reflow – Mike Bixenman, Kyzen
5. Determining Critical Cleaning Process Parameters for QFNs – Umut Tosun, Naveen Ravindran & Michael McCutchen, Zestron
6. Assembly Cleaning Process Characterization by Utilizing Repeatable Chemistry Solution Control – Dave Adams, Rockwell Collins, Dave Lober & John Williamson, Kyzen
To advance your understanding of Assembly Cleaning and Challenges, plan to attend the Cleaning and Conformal Coating Conference. For more information about the conference, visit http://www.smta.org/cleaning. The technical program for the conference is available at http://www.ipc.org/calendar/2012/cleaning-coating/cleaning-coating-brochure.htm.