TI Introduces Next-generation Digital Power Controller for Isolated Power Supplies
Texas Instruments, Inc. (TI)
12500 TI Blvd.
Dallas, TX, 75243-4136
Press release date: February 6, 2012
Fully programmable, integrated digital controller provides highest flexibility and performance for AC/DC and isolated DC/DC power designs
DALLAS, TX- Expanding its broad portfolio of analog and digital power management solutions, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry's most integrated and configurable digital power management controller optimized for AC/DC and isolated DC/DC power supply applications. The UCD3138 gives designers an innovative path to increase power density and reliability in a broad range of power supply topologies used in servers, telecom rectifiers and high-power DC/DC modules. For samples and development kits, visit: www.ti.com/ucd3138-pr.
Digital control capabilities allow designers to do more with their power systems, including re-usability of hardware designs across multiple platforms and the versatility to fine-tune performance and control parameters for each application, allowing faster time to market. To enable this, the UCD3138 combines a powerful 32-bit microprocessor, high-speed precision data converters, multiple programmable hardware control loops and various communication engines in a small 6-mm x 6-mm package.
Key features and benefits of the UCD3138:
· Boosts peak and light load efficiency: The device features several control functions to increase efficiency, including sync-FET soft on-off control, dynamic phase shedding, dynamic frequency adjustment and dynamic mode switching.
· Supports all isolated power supply topologies: The controller supports single-phase, two-phase interleaved, or bridgeless power factor correction, hard-switching full-bridge, phase-shifted full-bridge, resonant LLC and other topologies.
· Integrates all essential protection features: The device implements peak current mode control, cycle-by-cycle peak current limiting, high-speed input voltage feed-forward, over-voltage, over-current and over-temperature protection.
Easy-to-use GUI and development tools
Designers will have easy access to several digital power development tools including full-voltage and feature-rich evaluation modules, development kits, reference designs, application firmware source code, programmer's manuals and the Code Composer Studio(TM) software development environment. TI's Fusion Digital Power Designer graphical user interface (GUI) software tool provides flexible configuration of key power parameters, as well as telemetry, logging, and communication functions. A broad range of hardware design tools, such as control card and open-loop evaluation modules, are available to select customers. In addition TI offers easy-to-use development kits and reference designs, including:
· Development kits:
· UCD3138PFCEVM-026: Universal input, 400-Vout AC/DC PFC development kit, configurable into single- or two-phase interleaved and bridgeless topologies
· UCD3138PSFBEVM-027: 400-Vin/12-Vout DC/DC phase-shifted full bridge
· UCD3138LLCEVM-028: 400-Vin/12-Vout DC/DC half-bridge resonant LLC
· UCD3138HSFBEVM-029: 48-Vin/12-Vout DC/DC hard-switching full-bridge
· Reference designs:
· Universal input, 12-Vout 600-W AC/DC reference design (PFC plus LLC, and PFC plus phase-shifted full-bridge)
· 48-Vin/12-Vout 1/8 brick DC/DC reference design (hard-switching full bridge) Broad digital power portfolio
TI provides a complete range of analog and digital power management and MCU-optimized solutions to meet any digital power design requirement. TI's digital power controllers include the UCD3K family for isolated power supplies and UCD9K family for non-isolated point-of-load designs. TI's analog protection and system management controllers, such as the LM5064 and LM5066, as well as the TPS40400 and TPS40422 analog PWM controllers, integrate a PMBus(TM) digital communication interface, offering configurability, telemetry and monitoring capabilities. Finally, TI's fully programmable TMS320F28x MCUs support a multitude of power and energy-related applications, offering versatility and performance. See: www.ti.com/digitalpower-pr.
Availability and pricing
The UCD3138 is sampling now with volume production expected in the second quarter. It comes in a thermally enhanced 40-pin, 6-mm x 6-mm QFN package and supports a temperature range of -40C to 125C. Suggested resale pricing is $2.70 in 1,000-unit quantities. A 64-pin, 9-mm x 9-mm QFN version of the UCD3138 is priced at $4.10 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Find out more about TI's power products and design tools:
· Check out TI Live @ APEC to keep up with what TI is doing at APEC, including pictures of demonstrations.
· Ask questions and share knowledge in the Power forum in the TI E2E(TM) Community: http://www.ti.com/powerforum-pr
· Power Stage Designer(TM) software design tool: www.ti.com/powerstagedesigner-pr
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be - smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do - from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
Web Site: http://www.ti.com