Henkel Adhesives, Sealants, and Surface Treatments Allow Faster Wind Turbine Production
One Henkel Way
Rocky Hill, CT, 06067
Press release date: July 11, 2012
GL-Approved Bonding Materials Provide Long-Term Structural Integrity for Turbines
Rocky Hill, Conn. - To speed the production of wind turbines and increase their long-term reliability, Henkel Corporation offers a full line of adhesives, sealants and surface treatments that facilitate automated manufacturing of large composite components such as blades and nacelles, and bond, seal and protect a variety of exterior and interior parts. Henkel products reduce costs and improve quality during the manufacturing process and facilitate turbine installation.
- Henkel's Frekote® mold cleaners, sealants and release agents are semipermanent emulsions developed for releasing large-scale composite blade and body molds, and for sealing and cleaning parts.
- For blade and component bonding, Henkel developed the first Germanischer Lloyd (GL)-certified, two-component structural polyurethane adhesive, Macroplast® UK 1340(TM). This unique adhesive permanently bonds and seals the assembly, prevents crack propagation in blades and provides long-term structural integrity.
- Loctite® anaerobic materials play critical roles throughout the turbine assembly, preventing fasteners from loosening, reliably sealing pipes and flanges, and bonding cylindrical components such as bearings, gears and shafts. These materials are used on blades, gearboxes, hubs, brakes, and pitch and yaw bearings.
- Loctite® anti-seize lubricants protect power train splines, mounting bolts and exposed fasteners against rust corrosion, seizing and galling. They also provide lubrication for extreme environments.
- For waterproofing blades, nacelles and towers, Loctite® and Terostat® polyurethane, silicone and modified silane sealants offer flexibility, primerless adhesion, rapid cure speeds and excellent UV and temperature resistance.
- For added safety, antislip coatings provide tough, long-lasting antiskid surfaces. These coatings can be easily applied and stand up to heavy traffic and harsh environments.
- To protect metallic components from corrosion, Henkel offers metal pretreatment technologies, surface treatments and cleaners/conversion coatings.
- Deterioration to the concrete base of the turbine can be quickly and easily repaired using fast-setting, high strength Loctite® crack fillers, grouts and concrete repair products.
To view the full line of Loctite products for wind turbine manufacturing and installation, visit www.henkelna.com/windpower.
Henkel operates worldwide with leading brands and technologies in three business areas: Laundry & Home Care, Cosmetics/Toiletries and Adhesive Technologies. Founded in 1876, Henkel holds globally leading market positions both in the consumer and industrial businesses with well-known brands such as Persil, Schwarzkopf and Loctite. Henkel employs about 47,000 people and reported sales of $21.7 billion and adjusted operating profit of $2.8 billion in fiscal 2011. Henkel's preferred shares are listed in the German stock index DAX.
One Henkel Way
Rocky Hill, CT 06067
Tel: 1-800-LOCTITE (562-8483)