Economic Outlook For 2013 forecasts reduced, tentative growth.
Press Release Summary:
December 19, 2012 - While 2013 Equipment Leasing and Finance U.S. Economic Outlook projects equipment and software investment will grow, such growth is predicted at below-average rate of 2.9% due to weak demand and fiscal uncertainty. Report also notes 2012 investment outlook is contingent upon fiscal cliff resolution. Even when fiscal challenges are resolved, time will be needed for businesses to regain confidence. Looking ahead to 3Q and 4Q 2013, investment growth is expected to begin to regain momentum.
Equipment Leasing and Finance Association
Original Press Release
2013 Economic Outlook Report Forecasts 2.9% Growth in Equipment & Software Investment
Press release date: December 18, 2012
Outlook for Growth Contingent on Resolution of “Fiscal Cliff”
Washington, DC – The Equipment Leasing & Finance Foundation (the Foundation) releases its 2013 Equipment Leasing & Finance U.S. Economic Outlook today. The report, which is focused on the $725 billion equipment leasing and finance industry, forecasts equipment investment and capital spending in the United States and evaluates the effects of various related and external factors in play currently and into the foreseeable future. The 2013 Outlook projects equipment and software investment will grow, although at a below-average rate of 2.9%, hampered by weak demand and fiscal uncertainty. The report notes that the outlook for investment in 2013 is largely contingent on the resolution of the “fiscal cliff,” which could either continue to send negative shock waves through the economy or offer businesses encouragement. Even once the fiscal challenges are resolved, it will take time to work out the details and for businesses to regain confidence. Looking forward into the third and fourth quarters of 2013, growth in equipment and software investment is expected to begin to regain momentum.
William G. Sutton, CAE, President of the Foundation and President and CEO of the Equipment Leasing and Finance Association, said, “The 2013 Equipment Leasing & Finance U.S. Economic Outlook projects positive but muted growth in equipment investment through the beginning of 2013, as policy uncertainty continues to weigh on business confidence. However, if policymakers find a solution to key fiscal issues, we expect businesses will feel more confident in the second half of the year, leading to increased equipment investment.”
Highlights from the study include:
• Domestic political risk is the major concern on the radar for 2013. The report calls for the U.S. economy to grow at a rate of 2.4% once major fiscal issues are resolved. Without a smooth solution to current fiscal challenges, growth is forecast to fall significantly below 2%.
• Equipment and software investment took a significant hit in the third quarter of 2012, declining 2.7% (annualized rate) after a 4.8% increase in the second quarter. The data suggest that businesses have essentially “hit the pause button” on investment until there is a resolution to the “fiscal cliff.” Looking ahead to the second half of 2013, a strengthening housing sector and a reduction in political uncertainty could have an unlocking effect on business investment.
• Trends in equipment investment include:
- Agriculture equipment investment is likely to contract in Q4 2012 and Q1 2013.
- Computers and software equipment investment is projected to stagnate for the next 3 to 6 months.
- Construction equipment investment is projected to average strong growth (about 15%) as the housing market maintains its forward momentum.
- Industrial equipment investment will grow but at a slower rate than recent quarters. Depending on the outcome of the fiscal cliff debate, manufacturing could drive stronger growth in the second half of 2013.
- Medical equipment investment growth is likely to range between -2% and 2% in the next 3 to 6 months.
- Growth in transportation equipment investment is likely to moderate, averaging about 10% over the next 3 to 6 months.
The Foundation produces the Equipment Leasing & Finance U.S. Economic Outlook report in partnership with economics and public policy consulting firm Keybridge Research. The annual economic forecast provides a three-to-six-month outlook for industry investment with data, including a summary of investment trends in key equipment markets, credit market conditions, the U.S. macroeconomic outlook and key economic indicators. The report will be updated quarterly throughout 2013.
Download the full report at www.leasefoundation.org/IndRsrcs/EO/.
The Equipment Leasing & Finance Foundation is a 501c3 non-profit organization that provides vision for the equipment leasing and finance industry through future-focused information and research. Funded through charitable individual and corporate donations, the Foundation is the only organization dedicated to future-oriented, in-depth, independent research for the leasing industry. Visit the Foundation online at http://www.LeaseFoundation.org.
Follow the Foundation:
Twitter @ LeaseFoundation
Facebook: Equipment Leasing & Finance Foundation
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=89692
Diane Johnson Diane@fourleafpr.com