EMC Transforms Backup and Recovery Landscape
3507 Frontage Rd., Suite 525
Tampa, FL, 33607
Press release date: May 21, 2012
Market Leading Backup Appliances Deliver Tighter Integration, Simple Management and Industry's Fastest Performance; Data Domain 6x Faster and 3x More Capacity Than Nearest Competitor; Avamar Backup Of VMware 3x Faster and Recovery 30x Faster Than Nearest Competitor
LAS VEGAS - EMC WORLD 2012
- EMC® unveils backup and recovery innovations that add new levels of integration, management and performance to its market-leading purpose-built backup appliances
- EMC backup and recovery solutions work seamlessly with a broad set of enterprise applications, workloads and processes, allowing customers flexibility and choice in how they attack their most pressing data protection challenges
- New EMC Data Domain® DD990 deduplication storage system raises the industry bar for backup performance: Over 6x faster and 3x more capacity than its nearest competitor
- New software broadens Data Domain archiving capabilities for extended retention and regulatory compliance, expands the Data Domain Boost(TM) ecosystem and enhances the Data Domain Data Invulnerability Architecture
- New EMC Avamar® 6.1 deduplication software and system delivers 3x the backup performance and 30x the recovery performance of its nearest competitor in VMware® environments
- Avamar 6.1 simplifies backup management for business critical applications and expands Microsoft Hyper-V support to deliver complete protection for virtual server environments
Follow EMC World:
- Online: To track the latest EMC World 2012 happenings and view live general session streaming videos, visit www.emcworld.com.
- EMC Community Network: To view live streaming of keynote presentations, visit https://community.emc.com/community/connect.
- Twitter: For continuous EMC World news and event updates, follow EMC on Twitter at @EMCWorld and @EMCCorp and join the conversations using #EMCWorld. Follow EMC backup on Twitter for conference and industry updates: @EMCbackup.
- Facebook: To view highlight videos, interviews and more, like EMC on Facebook. Like EMCBackup on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/EMCbackup.
- Flickr: View photos of EMC World on Flickr and tag your EMC World photos with "EMC World 2012".
At EMC World 2012, EMC (NYSE: EMC) today announced new EMC Data Domain and EMC Avamar deduplication systems and software that transform the backup and recovery landscape. The new products are high performance, scalable, purpose-built backup appliances that tightly integrate with each other, with backup software and with enterprise applications. These new capabilities further differentiate the EMC backup and recovery portfolio from competitors with point products, and chart the EMC vision for the future of backup and recovery.
For years, the most common and daunting challenges backup administrators faced were backup window times and dealing with slow and unreliable tape-based recoveries. Data deduplication technology enabled high-performance purpose-built backup appliances to address these issues. Today, cloud and big data are transforming IT environments, but legacy backup systems can stall or cripple these valuable IT transformation projects. By delivering a capability-rich, next generation backup and recovery platform that builds in unprecedented levels of performance, integration and management, EMC frees customers from the complexities of protecting IT environments that are changing and expanding. This gives customers flexibility and choice in how they attack their most pressing data protection challenges.
EMC once again establishes a new industry performance benchmark for the world's fastest single controller deduplication storage system with the introduction of the new Data Domain DD990. Similarly, Avamar 6.1 deduplication software and system delivers the industry's fastest backup and recovery performance for VMware environments, eclipsing the performance levels of its nearest competitor by 3x on backups and a staggering 30x on recoveries. Avamar 6.1 also simplifies backup management for key business critical applications with new support for SAP, Sybase and Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and enhanced support for Oracle. In addition, Avamar 6.1 further increases its support for virtual environments with expanded Microsoft Hyper-V features. Finally, new Data Domain software brings exciting capabilities to the Data Domain family, broadening Data Domain archiving capabilities for extended retention and regulatory compliance, expanding the Data Domain Boost ecosystem and enhancing the Data Domain Data Invulnerability Architecture. Combined, these announcements give customers tighter integration, simplified management and the world's fastest backup performance.
Mike Chrystal, Senior Technical Specialist, Storage and Servers, St Charles Health System, Inc.
"Saint Charles Health System is a multi-site facility with over 400 virtual machines. Prior to these newly announced EMC products, our backups were already ten times faster with our new integrated Avamar and Data Domain system than with our previous system, saving us precious operational time and overcoming the challenges we faced in protecting our VMware environment. Now EMC is raising our new system's performance, adding useful new features like deeper support for Linux, and getting SQL Server 2012 support out there even before people have implemented it. EMC is covering a lot more bases than other backup vendors and constantly delivering new capabilities. For us, these newly announced products underscore that, after our extensive evaluation process, we made the right decision by choosing the EMC backup and recovery platform."
Jason Buffington, Senior Analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group
"EMC's appliance-based backup and recovery platforms are expanding rapidly and bringing new levels of functionality, integration and choice to its customers. IT transformation initiatives are driving new requirements for backup and recovery, and users need to be able to architect and optimize their data protection infrastructure to meet their specific needs. EMC is delivering a capability-rich solution portfolio that meets these needs head on, while simplifying backup and recovery processes."
EMC Executive Quote:
William "BJ" Jenkins, President, EMC Backup Recovery Systems Division
"EMC is delivering high performance scalable appliances that integrate with each other, with backup software and with enterprise applications. Customers embarking upon transformation of IT have asked us for these capabilities because it is essential that backup infrastructures align to these new IT infrastructures. Over time, traditional backup products that do not take this end-to-end view, in effect, paint users into a corner. Our mission is to give our customers the flexibility to architect their backup infrastructures strategically, leveraging the broad product choices and integration capabilities that only EMC can deliver, and then enable them to continually evolve their backup and recovery to help drive their IT transformation efforts."
- Download the new IDC report on the Purpose-Built Backup Appliance Market: http://www.emc.com/IDCShowsWhy
EMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset -- information -- in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found atwww.EMC.com.
EMC, Avamar, Boost and Data Domain are registered trademarks or trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks herein are the property of their respective holders.
VMware, VMware vCenter, VMware vSphere and VMware vStorage are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship with VMware or any other company.
CONTACT: Ed Luboja, +1-203-210-7404, firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Site: http://www.emc.com