There are those who towards the laissez-faire side of things when it comes to EPA regulations; their general rule of thumb is the less government regulation and intervention, the better. Your obt svt is of this view. But is it, in fact, the case that EPA regulations actually help create, not kill, jobs. Let’s check it out.
The five main points generally advanced to support this position are as follows:
1. Lots of people are employed in the pollution-control industry, and the more government regulations we get, the more jobs that industry will be able to provide.
2. More regulation leads to greater innovation.
3. Retrofitting and upgrading older power plants to comply with new EPA regulations creates lots of jobs.
4. Manufacturers of green technology and other technology required to meet EPA regulations create jobs whenever their products are needed.
5. Environmental regulations lead to a whole lot of billable hours for lawyers and consultants.
Let’s see how these contentions hold up. Read more